LA JUNTA, COLORADO
In 1885 Otero County was yet a part of Bent County. La Junta, meaning “The Junction”, was 20 miles west of Las Animas, the county seat of Bent County. The nearest Masonic lodge was King Solomon Lodge No. 30 located at Las Animas. Several brethren of that lodge, together with several sojourning Masons living in and near La Junta desired to have a Masonic lodge in La Junta. A petition was prepared and presented to the Grand Lodge of Colorado on April 18, 1885. This petition was signed by 15 Masons and was recommended by King Solomon Lodge.
It is interesting to note that both the petition and recommendation were originally written to name the new iodge “Doric” and were later changed to “Euclid”. No doubt it was discovered that Doric Lodge No.25 held at Fairplay received its dispensation on January 13, 1874 and was chartered on September 30, 1874.
The dispensation was granted May 6, 1885 and a charter was granted on September 16, 1885. There were 20 charter members and on November 30, 1960 there were 483 members.
A Past Master of Euclid Lodge, Henry H. Gaisser, was elected and installed as the 1961 Worshipful Master of Research Lodge of Colorado, but unfortunately died before the next regular meeting of that lodge. He was found dead in his automobile after returning from the funeral of a Brother in which ceremonies he had acted as marshal.