Saint Vrain Masonic Lodge #23
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons
Established. June 22, 1872
On June 22, 1872, Most Worshipful Grand Master Henry M. Teller granted a dispensation to a group of about 20 Master Masons with Ed B. Newman as Worshipful Master, W. M. Rech as Senior Warden and E. J. Coffman as Junior Warden. On June 6, the first meeting was held in the Thompson Building, located at the corner of 5th and Main Streets. The city of Longmont at this time was about one year old.The Lodge was named after the well known and celebrated pioneer, Ceran St. Vrain who was a member of Montezuma Lodge No. 109 at Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory and who, together with Charles Bent, in 1837, built Fort St. Vrain which is now Platteville.
The first Brother to receive his degrees was W.W Secor. The charter was received on Sept. 25, 1872. Brother Ed B. Newman Worshipful Master.
In 1877, the Lodge moved to larger quarters which were the property of the Methodist Church and met there until it moved into the new Temple in 1883.