Master Masons residing in Westminster, a growing community on the northwest city limits of Denver, were desirous of forming a regular lodge in that location. Therefore a number of them petitioned the Grand Lodge of Colorado for a dispensation. Most Worshipful Grand Master C. Wheeler Barnes issued a dispensation September 7, 1951 as Westminster Lodge U. D. During the 11 communications under dispensation, eleven petitions for the degrees were received, eleven were initiated and passed and five were raised to the degree of Master Mason.
At the Grand Lodge Session, in January, 1952, the lodge petitioned for a charter.
The Grand Lodge Committee on Charters and Dispensations, after study of the returns of the lodge recommended the granting of a charter as Westminster Lodge No. 176. Most Worshipful Grand Master C. Wheeler Barnes granted the charter as recommended on January 23, 1952. The charter contains the names of 35 brethren with Brothers Lewis W. Gilley as Worshipful Master, Elmer K. Hoover, Senior Warden and Orville F. McNatt, Junior Warden.
Membership as of November 30,1960 189