Study of Masonry beyond the ritual, Masonic fellowship, and cooperative solving of mutual problems have been the objectives of several voluntary groups in the last half-century since travel has become easier.
The San Luis Valley Masonic Association held annual gatherings before and after the turn of the century. It was composed of seven Lodges: Saguache No. 32, Alamosa No. 44, Monte Vista No. 73, Creede No. 94, Vulcan No. 103 of Hooper, Del Norte No. 105, and Center No. 128. They maintained a park where members had summer homes and recreational facilities. George E. Simonton, Grand Master in 1913, reported that over 400 Masons and families were in attendance when he visited there.
A Northeastern Colorado Masonic association was organized shortly after the influx of new members following World War 1. Eight Lodges comprised the group.
The Denver Association of Masonic Officers was started by M. W. Bro. Albert G. McGaffey and still functions actively.
Lodges on the Moffat Railroad formed the Northwestern Educational Masonic Association in 1940. The Research Lodge of Colorado received Grand Lodge Approval in 1952. It has 260 members in this and other states, including several Masonic organizations.
The Southern Colorado Masonic Symposium, sponsored by Silver State Lodge No. 95 in Pueblo each spring, is an outgrowth of a Masonic Lodge celebration started in 1952. A program of original Masonic papers by outstanding Masonic scholars of the state is preceded by degree exemplification involving representatives of not less than 15 and as many as 35 lodges of southeastern Colorado.