At a Grand Lodge communication, February 6, 1952 in the Masonic Temple, 16th and Welton, Most Worshipful Brother Olin P. Lee presented a dispensation to 47 brethren to open and form a lodge of Master Masons to be called Malta Lodge U. D. with M. James O’Reilly, Worshipful Master; Gifford Sorensen, Senior Warden; and Andy V. Lindblom, Junior Warden. Eight petitions were read for membership and referred to committees. The Lodge received many gifts, among them a large Masonic Bible 75 years old, which had been given to Brother Le Fever the Treasurer by a Masonic Friend. The jewels and square and compass were cast by one of the brethren, Albert J. Turner. He also made the staffs. The columns were made by Jack H. Morrison, Jr. and gavels by Brother Foster.
The Committee on Charters and Dispensations reported favorably on finding the Lodge had held 26 communications, initiated 19, passed 14 and raised 14 to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.
The Lodge was duly chartered Malta Lodge No. 178 with Brothers Michael James O’Reilly, Worshipful Master, Gifford Sam Sorenson, Senior Warden and Murray Chenoweth Snively, Junior Warden. The Charter was granted at .the Grand Lodge Sessions in January, 1953 but the Lodge was not constituted until March 18, 1953 by Most Worshipful Hubert Glover, Grand Master of Masons in Colorado.
Membership November 30, 1960 122