DOVE CREEK, COLORADO
In 1949 a number of Master Masons residing in the Dove Creek area formed the Acacia Club for the purpose of meeting in Masonic fellowship. Meetings were held in the Civic Club and officers according to Craft Lodge procedure were elected.
As attendance and interest at these meetings grew, the idea of forming a lodge in Dove Creek gained momentum. A great inspiration and ever available help in evolving the idea and plan for such a lodge came from our late brother Charles L. Young, who for 29 years was Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of Colorado.
The first regular communication of the lodge under dispensation was held on October 22,1951. On January 23,1952 the charter was granted.
The lodge was constituted by M.W. Bro. Olin P. Lee on March 8, 1952 when there were 153 Masons present, of whom 26 were members of Charles L. Young Lodge. M.W. Bro. Lee also installed the officers of the lodge.
A picture of the late Grand Lecturer was presented to the lodge by M. W. Harry W. Bundy on behalf of P.G.M. Frank D. Allen. Many other fine and useful gifts were received, among which was a Holy Bible presented on behalf of Mrs. Charles L. Young and daughters.
On July 14, 1952 a Temple Board was estabbhed to investigate possibilities and expedite fulfillment of the plan to acquire a temple. The success of the Board’s efforts is shown by the fact that the first meeting in the new temple was held on May 11, 1953. M.W. Bro. Hubert Glover dedicated this temple on July 13, 1953. Since that time there has been steady progress in the improvement and beautification of the property.
The lodge showed a membership of 52 on November 30, 1960.